From Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) – On Saturday, March 24th and Sunday, March 25th, the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) will demolish the northern half of the existing 15th Street bridge over I-25 as part of a safety and mobility project on I-25. As a result, there will be a full closure of both northbound and southbound I-25 as well as 15th Street for two evenings. Major delays are expected and alternate routes are strongly advised.
“This is our first major milestone of the project that will bring improvements to I-25, 15th Street and Central Street,” said CDOT Project Engineer Kevin Ryburn. “The work is being conducted over the weekend to allow crews to take advantage of the longer work hours needed to complete the bridge demolition.”
To complete the work, the following lane closures will be in place, weather permitting:
- On Saturday, March 24th, one lane of northbound and southbound I-25 between I-70 and Speer Boulevard will be closed starting at 7 p.m. with a second lane closing at 9 p.m. All lanes of I-25 will close at 11 p.m. and reopen by 10 a.m. on Sunday. In addition, 15th Street over I-25 will be closed from 11 p.m. Saturday until 10 a.m. on Sunday.
- On Sunday, March 25th one lane of northbound and southbound I-25 between I-70 and Speer Boulevard will be closed starting at 7 p.m. with a second lane closing at 9 p.m. All lanes of I-25 will close at 11 p.m. and reopen by 5:30 a.m. on Monday. In addition, 15th Street over I-25 will be closed from 11 p.m. Sunday until 5:30 a.m. on Monday.
The following detour routes will be place over the weekend. Major delays are possible and alternate routes are strongly advised.
- Southbound I-25: Exit onto westbound I-70 and take I-70 to Federal Boulevard. Travel south on Federal Boulevard to Speer Boulevard and then south on Speer Boulevard to I-25.
- Northbound I-25: Exit onto northbound Speer Boulevard and take Speer Boulevard to Federal Boulevard. Then travel north on Federal Boulevard to I-70. Take I-70 east to I-25.
- 15th Street: Eastbound 15th Street thru traffic will be detoured on Zuni Street to Speer Boulevard and westbound 15th Street thru traffic will be detoured on Wewatta Street to Speer Boulevard. Local and business access will be allowed on 15th Street to Central Street for eastbound traffic and to Platte Street for westbound traffic.
Uniform traffic control will be in place throughout the detour routes to help guide motorists and to monitor the flow of traffic during the closure. CDOT would like to remind motorists to obey all construction signs and flaggers and to “Slow for the Cone Zone.”
The remainder of the 15th Street bridge over I-25 will be demolished and replaced later this year as crews construct the bridge from north to south. As a result, 15th Street will remain open through the majority of the project with one lane open in each direction. Traffic may be realigned to the south or north depending on the phase of construction. Additional full closures of 15th Street as well as I-25 during the overnight hours will be necessary for girder installation, bridge deck work and the future bridge demolition. Information will be released as construction progresses.
The bridge demolition is part of a safety and mobility project on I-25 between approximately 20th Street and Speer Boulevard that replaces the 15th Street bridge over I-25 and adds auxiliary lanes on southbound I-25 just south of 20th Street to just south of Speer Boulevard to help eliminate the weaving at the on and off-ramps on I-25.
In addition, various vehicle, pedestrian and bicycle improvements will be made on Central Street, including constructing of a 10-foot bicycle/pedestrian path from 16th Street to 20th Street and adding additional on-street parking on the west side of Central Street north of 17th Street. The City and County of Denver is funding the improvements along Central Street.
Hamon Contractors, Inc. is the contractor for this $11.7 million project that will continue through late 2013 or early 2014.